Curricula and programs:
- The Coalition for Essential Schools www.essentialschools.org
- The Center for Ecological Literacy www.ecoliteracy.org
- The International Eco-Schools Programme www.eco-schools.org
- The Cloud Institute for Sustainability Education www.sustainabilityed.org
- Experiential Learning/Outward Bound www.elob.org
- Association for Experiential Education www.aee.org
- Center for Collaborative Education www.ccebos.org
- State Education and Environment Roundtable www.seer.org
- National Environmental Education and Training Foundation www.neetf.org
- Edible Schoolyard www.edibleschoolyard.org
- Green Map System www.greenmap.org
- EcoSchool Design www.ecoschools.com
- Project Learning Tree www.plt.org
- The Collaborative on Health and the Environment www.healthandenvironment.org
- Healthy Schools Network www.healthyschools.org
- World Resources Institute www.wri.org
- The Rocky Mountain Institute www.rmi.org
- Sustainable Communities Network www.sustainable.org
- The Ecological Design Institute www.ecodesign.org
State/ Government programs:
- Massachusetts Green Schools Program www.mtpc.org
- Minnesota Association for Environmental Education http://naaee.org/maee
- New Jersey Sustainable Schools Network http://community.nj.com/cc/sustainableschools
- Ohio Alliance for the Environment www.ohioalliance.org
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences www.niehs.nih.gov
- Brown University http://envstudies.brown.edu/dept/espgm.htm
[Links to US and global College and University Environmental programs]
- University Leaders for a Sustainable Future www.ulsf.org
- Campus Ecology Program www.nwf.org/campusecology/index.cfm
- Second Nature www.secondnature.org
- Campus Ecology Program www.nwf.org
- Antioch/ New England www.cee-ane.org
- University of Michigan www.umich.edu/~usustain
- Michigan State University www.ecofoot.msu.edu
- UC Davis/Information Center for the Environment http://ice.ucdavis.edu
- Sustainable Schools Checklist www.innovativedesign.net/sustainable-design
- National Clearinghouse for Educational Facilities www.edfacilities.org/rl/outdoor.cfm
- U.S. Green Building Council (LEED) www.usgbc.org
- Greener Buildings www.greenerbuildings.com
- National Institute of Building Sciences www.wbdg.org
- California/ Division of the State Architect www.sustainableschools.dgs.ca.gov/SustainableSchools/sustainabledesign/fsp/fsp.html
An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain, Diane Ackerman, Scribner: 2004.
Boundaries, Maya Lin, Simon and Schuster: 2000.
Building for Life: Designing and Understanding the Human-Nature Connection, Stephen R. Kellert, Island Press: 2005.
Children and Nature: Psychological, Sociocultural, and Evolutionary Investigations, edited by Peter H. Kahn, Jr. and Stephen R. Kellert, MIT Press: 2002.
Cultures of Habitat: On Nature, Culture, and Story, Gary Paul Nabhan, Counterpoint: 1997.
Design Outlaws on the Ecological Frontier, Chris Zelov and Phil Cousineau, eds., Knossus Publishing: 1997.
Digital Ground: Architecture, Pervasive Computing, and Environmental Knowing, Malcolm McCullough, MIT Press: 2004.
Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect, David W. Orr, Island Press: 2004.
Eco-Economy: Building an Economy for the Earth, Lester R. Brown, Norton: 2001.
Ecological Design: Sim Van der Ryn and Stuart Cowan, Island Press: 1996.
Ecological Design and Building Schools: Green Guide to Educational Opportunities in the United States and Canada, Sandra Leibowitz Earley, New Village Press: 2005.
Ecological Education in Action: On Weaving Education, Culture, and the Environment, Gregory A. Smith and Dilafruz R. Williams, eds., SUNY Albany: 1999.
Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World, Michael K. Stone and Zenobia Barlow, eds., Sierra Club Books: 2005.
Ecological Literacy: Education and the Transition to a Postmodern World, David W. Orr, SUNY Albany: 1998.
The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability, Paul Hawken, Harper: 1993.
Education and Public Health: Natural Partners in Learning for Life, Jenny Smith, ACSD: 2003.
Environment, Cognition, and Action: An Integrated Approach, Tommy Garling and Gary W. Evans, eds., Oxford University Press: 1991.
The Environment for Children: Understanding and acting on the environmental hazards that threaten children and their parents, David Satterthwaite et al, Earthscan: 1996.
Environmental Education in the 21st Century: Theory, Practice, Progress, and Promise, Joy A. Palmer, Routledge Falmer: 1998.
A Field Guide to Getting Lost, Rebecca Solnit, Viking: 2005.
The Geography of Childhood: Why Children Need Wild Places, Gary Paul Nabhan and Stephen Trimble, Beacon Press: 1994.
Groundswell: Stories of Saving Places, Finding Community, Alix W. Hopkins, The Trust for Public Land: 2005.
Inquiry by Design: Environment/Behavior/Neuroscience in Architecture, Interiors, Landscape, and Planning,(rev), John Zeisel Norton: 2006.
Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, Richard Louv, Algonquin Books: 2005.
A Living Architecture: Frank Lloyd Wright and Taliesin Architects, John Rattenbury, Pomegranate: 2000.
Natural Capitalism: Creating the Next Industrial Revolution, Paul Hawken, Amory Lovins, and L. Hunter Lovins, Back Bay Books: 1999.
The Natural Step for Communities: How Cities and Towns can Change to Sustainable Practices, Sarah James and Torbjorn Lahti, New Society Publishers: 2004.
The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention, David W. Orr, Oxford UP: 2002.
Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places, John R. Stilgoe, Walker and Company: 1998.
A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction, Christopher Alexander, Oxford Press: 1977.
Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability, David Holmgren, Holmgren Design Services: 2002.
Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms and Communities, David Sobel, The Orion Society: 2004.
Places of the Soul: Architecture and Environmental Design as a Healing Art, Christopher Day, HarperCollins: 1993.
Putting Health into Place: Landscape, Identity, and Well-Being, Robin Kearns and Wilbert M. Gesler, eds., Syracuse University Press: 1998.
Slow Food: The Case for Taste, Carlo Petrini, Columbia University Press: 2001.
The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World, David Abram, Vintage: 1996.
Street Science: Community Knowledge and Environmental Health Justice, Jason Corburn, MIT Press: 2005.
Teaching in the Field: Working with Students in the Outdoor Classroom, Hal Crimmel, ed., University of Utah Press: 2003.
Unhealthy Places: The Ecology of Risk in the Urban Landscape, Kevin Fitzpatrick and Mark LaGory, Routledge: 2000.